Monday, July 03, 2006

Damn, i read my old xanga, and discovered that i wrote so well in it. I was honest and open and it was pretty. So i have made a vow to be more honest in my blogging, but no guarentees about the eloquence. Here is what is on my mind.

This year i have found out a lot about people i thought i knew. I set myself up for failure from the start by assuming that i could know anyone, but there it was, and i did. My family turns out to be quite different than what i thought it was. A man i looked up to turned out to be only a man and nothing more. And some kids i thought i knew turned out to be very disappointing.

"I don't know what i can save you from."

I finally realized that you can only save the ones who want to be saved. Some people like to be sad or angry or confused. They would never admit it right out, but deep down, they feel within the realm of safety to have that pain in them. Its safer than numbness, and it fuels that self-preserving anger that we all pretend we don't understand. They figure they'll be kicked down, might as well stay there.
But i keep backing myself into corners by loving these people. i can't save them, and what is more, it's not my job to.

When i was a wee freshman i met and maybe loved this guy. And maybe he loved me back. But he was self depricating and bitter and sad all the time, and he didn't really want to be saved because it gave him a connection to the normal people, and a pity lay from the higher ups. it tore us up and it made me so mad and still does.

We always think that we should learn our lesson, and then we turn around and do it again. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.
Shame on me for thinking that this new person was different. Shame on me for thinking that he would help himself enough to let someone else help him.
No one will ever hear his side of the story.
And that is the biggest tragedy.
Because he has such a story to tell.

10 Comments:

Blogger Cap'n Vincent said...

Yes, yes indeed.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Esmerelda said...

you know how people always say listen to your elders because they can teach you so much about life, well I think that I would rather learn on my own even if it is painful, I'd rather be a fool than never have experienced it at all. Sometimes the people who are able to tell the best stories are mute and that's a lesson wwe all have to learn
~Em

9:58 AM  
Blogger Cap'n Vincent said...

Well, true that. Just as a sidenote for you ED, I hung out w/Maria 2 day. We finished watching Love Actually....great movie...*giggles and then coughs stopping abruptly* Srry bout that.

;)

1:22 PM  
Blogger Esmerelda said...

Hey E Dunne, I'm sitting here in Aubrey Feinen's basement and I was just cheching back and we as in Cheez-it, Robyn and Aubrey all decided something:

We can see clearly now, the rain is gone.

We can see all obstacles in our way.

I don't know the rest of the words.

^
|
Cheez-it
love from all

9:18 PM  
Blogger Cellar door said...

too true m. too fucking true. and i would like to think i learned my lesson, but there are always going to be people like that, who i try and try and try to get them to let you in...but you can't fix someone who doesn't want to be fixed.

"You called me after midnight,
it must have been three years since we last spoke.
I slowly tried to bring back
the image of your face from the memories so old.
I tried so hard to follow,
but didn't catch a half of what had gone wrong,
said "I don't know what I can save you from. "
I don't know what I can save you from.
I asked you to come over,
and within half an hour,
you were at my door.
I had never really known you,
but I realized that the one you were before,
had changed into somebody for whom
I wouldn't mind to put the kettle on.
Still I don't know what I can save you from.
I don't know what I can save you from."
-The Kings of Convenience
"i don't know what i can save you from"

ah...my kings. they fix everything.

this is the fucking longest comment. ever.

9:38 PM  
Blogger Cap'n Vincent said...

cavya, there are reasons i love you and EDunne, and this is one of them.

:)

7:40 PM  
Blogger Lancehead said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:53 PM  
Blogger Cellar door said...

I love you too, cooch! :D I hope you are doing well.

8:06 PM  
Blogger lady li said...

well. i missed a bit. i'd like to meet this "him" you speak of. in any case i wanna chat with you about it. lots of what you said reminded me of me. :D

and the damn the man party sounds like a blast as well. might i come?

luv always

lady li

9:47 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

we need another girl party guys everyone needs to talk talk talk. em i found a sea shell for u at the beach~

Tori

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home